About Us

In 1862, 27 years before statehood, the Dakota Territorial Legislature established the first three companies of the Dakota Militia. Since that time, our Dakota Soldiers have established themselves time after time in every military action through the Korean War.

As members of today’s Dakota Guard, we have the responsibility and obligation to preserve this fine heritage for our families, the citizens of our state and ourselves. To meet this obligation, the South Dakota National Guard Museum was established to provide a repository for memorabilia and historical documents pertaining to the South Dakota National Guard.

The South Dakota National Guard Museum traces its beginnings to a small military museum sponsored by the 147th Field Artillery Historical Society. In the 1975, after the new armory was build east of Pierre, the Society requested the use of the old OMS#7 vehicle and weapons storage building. The OMS#7 shop was built in 1941 by the South Dakota National Guard and the Works Project Administration. The upper level was used as the weapons and vehicle storage. The lower level of the building was used as the maintenance shop. In 1982 the state Legislature authorized the creation of the South Dakota National Guard Museum, under the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Office of the Adjutant General.


Donations from the South Dakota National Guard Members, visitors, and various membership club levels provide funds for daily operations and funds for the South Dakota National Guard Museum Endowment Fund. Admission is free.


Donations of artifact items have come from veterans and veteran family members who have served in the South Dakota Army and Air National Guard. Please contact the museum for information on making a donation.